Church of St. George in Staro Nagorichane
ABOUT THE TREASURE
The Church of St. George was built on the remains of an earlier church that was probably founded by the Byzantine emperor Romanus IV Diogenes (1068–1071). Archaeological excavations have revealed that the older church was monumental in size and was built of large blocks of stone. It is not clear, however, exactly when it was built, what it looked like and when it was destroyed. In 1313 the Serbian king Milutin decided to build a new church on the same site. Its architecture is in the style of the representative churches from the early 14th century, when a number of innovations were introduced into Late Byzantine architecture. The frescoes are in the style of the Palaeologan Dynasty and are among the masterpieces of two famous painters from Thessalonica at the turn of the 14th century, Michael and Eutychius.
Total: 1 points!