Shtip - Islamic Architecture
ABOUT THE TREASURE
The Bedesten (covered market) is situated in the center of the city of Shtip, on the right bank of the river Otinja. It was probably built in the 16th-17th century. The complex is composed of three rectangular areas, covered by massive domes. Today it is adapted to function as an art gallery.
The Haydar-Kadi Mosque is on the left bank of the Dragor River, in the area of the old Sheep Market (Ovchi Bazaar). It is also near the Deboj Turkish Bath (17th–18th century). The mosque, commissioned by the governor of Rumelia Hayder Beg, was built in 1561/62. It is a domed building with massive walls that are about 1.4 metres thick. The builders came from a small village in the region of Bitola, but the mosque was most probably designed by an unknown Islamic architect. He was obviously influenced by the work of famous architects from the period, such as Kodja Sinan.
The Husamedin-Pasha Mosque stands on a hilltop on the left bank of the Otinja River. The mosque was built at the beginning of the 16th century. It is a spacious, one-domed building with a square ground plan. It is built of large blocks of yellow stone that were probably brought from the area around the village of Zhegligovo (in the region of Kumanovo). The cylindrical drum of the dome is of green sandstone brought from the area around Shtip. This part of the building is in danger of collapse because the sandstone is susceptible to erosion.
Total: 1 points!